Thursday, October 9, 2008

VeganMoFo day #9 - cookies, binder clips, and cheese crisps galore

After reading about all the cookies that are being baked in mofoland, I had to join in the fun. Plus I was feeling sort of tired and these cookies were easy to make ;-). They are the oatmeal raisin cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I had a bag of mixed fruit - raisins, cranberries, golden raisins from Trader Joe's, so I used that. Good stuff. I vaguely remember somebody on one of the posts using cranberries in oatmeal cookies. I've been reading so many blogs it's all a blur and I can't separate fact from fiction. As I was making the cookies, I realized that there were going to be a lot of them. So I shaped the last dozen or so and froze them as an experiment. These cookies were really good. They are going to work w/ Andy so I don't have the temptation hanging around.


This is my favorite kitchen gadget. Well, it's really an office supply posing as a chip clip. The most versatile mini binder clip. I use it on bags of all shapes and sizes. Even ones that go in the freezer. Staples has much fancier ones than these, but these were cheapest.


We had leftovers for dinner and some cheese crisps. A flour tortilla with fake cheese on top (follow your heart) and some canned diced green chiles. Broil in the oven until crispy - a few minutes. I like them with taco bell hot sauce. I totally hate taco bell because of overuse, but I love their hot sauce. You can buy it in a bottle at the store if you don't want to go through the torture of eating their food. I think Andy found this packet in the car from who knows when. Total appetizer junk food that I copied from a bar I used to go to in Vermont a long time ago, Tortilla Flat. They go well w/ sangria or beer. mmmm... sangria.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, just last night I said "I wish I had one of those bag clips." It never occurred to me just to use a normal office clip. Duh. :) Oh and that tortilla looks SO good!

donesmoking said...

im a fan that hot sauce...
i've gone into taco bell, gotten just a bean burrito and then filled my purse up w/ handfuls of that stuff...which reminds me, i am getting low ;)

Bethany said...

carrie, I don't know how long it took me to figure it out. before that I was using rubber bands. dumb considering how much I used them at work.

eve, I love those little packets, too. I have to take a pile when I get a burrito. I can use 6+ packets for 1 burrito, so you see my problem ;-). Those bottles go by quickly too. I need a jug and a straw.

I wonder how many packets of that stuff 1 taco bell goes through in a week.

donesmoking said...

hey bethany-

ok so i'm not the only one who uses 6+ packets of hot sauce on a burrito?
i'm gonna have to tell my SO, who think its amazing how much hot sauce i go thru.

annnd now im craving nachos :)

Bethany said...

I think I only eat the burrito or whatever as an excuse to eat tons of sauce.