Wednesday, October 22, 2008

VeganMoFo day #22 - Dal-icious

Last night I continued my tour of the negelected cookbooks by making Mixed Vegetable Dal from Vegan Feasts. I was a bit worried towards the end of cooking that is was too bland, but was able to save it by adding some more of the ingredients it already called for (cumin, corriander, lemon juice). I also added a bunch of hot sauce. I think lemon was the key ingredient.

Overall it turned out to be pretty tasty. I'm really picky about dal, so that says a lot. Sort of looks like a bowl of slop, but it is good. I haven't tried any other recipes from this cookbook. I used to own one of her veg cookbooks, which prompted me to get this one.


Earlier this week I made the Rice Cereal recipe that was in the booklet from the detox class. They didn't make it in class. Pretty simple stuff (liquid such as amazake or almond milk, rice, raisins, water, agave, vanilla. soak overnight, cook for an hour the next day - an hour because it's rice). I tend to dislike things like oatmeal unless there is a ton of maple syrup and fruit on top. Thus the lake of maple with chopped up pears (though they look like potatoes). I had some leftovers today and it seems like the raisins really permeated everthing so it's much sweeter on it's own. I'm about 2/3 along the way of liking this stuff. I think oatmeal lovers would like it.


This is a pic of the Judge grubbing for some bread. He only wants it because it's slathered in Earth Balance. Total grease hound.

15 comments:

Brenna said...

The Judge has to be the coolest cat I've ever seen!

beastmomma said...

The cat does look bad ass. BTW, you are a winner of the giveaway on my blog. Please send me your mailing information and let me know which book you would prefer.

For the Love of Guava said...

haha... it took me a second to figure out where your oatmeal was! I'm glad I'm not the only one that slathers my healthy oatmeal in all sorts of unhealthiness... YUM!!

Bethany said...

beastmomma - woohoo, I won! yay!

brenna - the judge thinks he's cool, too. but he doesn't know how bad he is.

guava - yeah, when I was looking at the pic, I thought. just where is the rice part? I use the excuse that I grew up in VT and they make lots of maple syrup there. so I should support them and use lots of it.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

What a yummy looking bowl of dal! And what a cute kitty, look at that long, skinny tail!

Chessa said...

What a cool freaking cat!

We love rice cereal around here. I usually just use leftover rice and add the almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and raisins (and a pinch of salt). It's a pretty good variation of oatmeal.

We just made dal the other day! Yours looks better. Mine is never as good as at an Indian restaurant, it's like a key ingredient eludes me every time. Can't figure it out. Maybe it's the lemon juice?

Bethany said...

Chessa - same here with the dal. It always escapes me too, but not this time. so I think it must be the lemon.

now I just have to find the perfect dal recipe made from brown lentils...

Jen Treehugger said...

That Dahl looks delish. My boyfriend makes the best Dahl I've ever had - he doesn't even need a recipe book for it!!
Judge is a booty!

VeganView said...

Mmm I think the Dahl looks very tasty! And your cat is so freaken cool, gota love a cat that loves earth balance ;)

tofufreak said...

MAPLE SYRUP!!! yum :D haha that dal looks great!

wingraclaire said...

That hot cereal looks great. I like to cook cereal on the weekend when I have more time. (Weekdays, it's instant oatmeal at school. Organic, but still instant.) I'll try that one. And I made dal yesterday too; yum!

:)

wingraclaire said...

Oops, I forgot to ask whether that was white or brown rice.

Bethany said...

It was 2 kinds of rice. one white, one brown. I think just using leftover rice is a lot easier and just as good for you.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

ooh! what a good idea! I <3 dal and veggies in it? mmm

Michelle said...

i really like dal, so it's fun to know that book has a good recipe for it. used to have that book but i gave it up, i forget why.

and you don't like the david lynch version of dune??? blasphemy!

oh, and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, btw.

-michelle