Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Macrobiotics class

I took a Macrobiotics class at PCC taught by Hai En Mai and Julianne Stutzman Mai. It was a 3 hour intro class where we learned the concepts of macrobiotics and they cooked up some tasty food.

Roasted Autumn Seed Snack. Roasted sesame seeds, pumpkin, sunflower, all roasted, then barley malt syrup mixed in. Very tasty and filling.

Millet mashed "potatoes". Well actually millet and cauliflower whipped together. They served onion gravy on top and gave us a miso dressing as well.

Hijiki with Autumn Veggies and Tempeh. This was amazing. I love hijiki and learned that it is fantastic paired with squash. They left the skin on the squash and to be honest, I didn't even notice it - no rough texture and you get all the nutrients. Of course this doesn't work with every squash because some of the skins are really tough.


Apricot Apple Agar-Agar Dessert. This was basically a kanten. Very tasty if you scraped off the goji berries. Does anybody else think goji berries taste like raisins and squash mixed together (in a bad way)? The apricot and coconut combo was really good.

~~~~~~~

I'm in the process of making my annual cat calendar, so I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and share last year's calendar pics (greatly reduced in size of course). This year is more exciting because I ordered some 100% recycled cardstock. So once I use up the leftover from last year, I'll be more eco.

They represent the best pics taken during the year. They all have to be crystal clear or I won't use them - except for the cover, that is supposed to be a bit strange looking.

Nibbler makes this very difficult because it is not easy to get even 1 decent pic per year. I won't take pics if they act like they are being harassed - because I will know that I was harassing them every time I look at it.

Here are the first 3:
Cover: Peepa

January: Tubs

February: Nibbler

9 comments:

Felicity said...

I've wondered what goji berries taste like. Debated buying a goji berry bush to grow, kinda glad I didn't now.

Your kitties are GORGEOUS! Looking forward to the next pics :)

Anonymous said...

Nibbler looks lovely in that photo, I love your Cattywumpus calender!

I also stopped by to let you know I have given you a bloggy award, details are on my blog >:o)

Anonymous said...

You take so many awesome cooking classes. I've never eaten something Macrobiotic, (maybe I have, but I have no idea what it's about), but all that food looks delicious.

yasmin said...

the kitty calendar is such a cute idea! and the pix are great.

Jenn said...

Wow, the food looks really good. Interesting combinations.

Cute cat photos!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wow, I love your blog :o).

May I add you to my blogroll?

Joanna said...

i can't even pick which dish looks the best! i'm eyein all of it up and down.

i hate goji berries, too. i tried one out of the bulk bins at whole foods and gagged. they are somewhat bitter and moldy-tasting... if that makes sense haha

Bethany said...

chocolate covered vegan, of course you can add me to your blogroll. I'd be honored.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

WOW! Such awesome foods! The Apricot Apple Agar-Agar Dessert looks so impressive!

Tubs is doing a SERIOUS forward bend there!