Saturday, December 27, 2008

VeganSnowFo day 8,243 - or at least it feels that way

Yay, the snow is finally seeming to melt. It even rained later on today.

I'm super annoyed with it right now because of reasons that are pretty much my own fault. We tried to drive the subaru down the driveway today and surprise, surprise! After about 1/2 way down the driveway it got stuck. Now why would a car not like driving in 2 feet of snow? beats me. so we had the nasty task of shoveling the compacted snow from under the car. Then we shoveled a foot+ layer off the top of the snow on the driveway (believe me, I'm not shoveling an ounce more than necessary). We got to a point where the car isn't stuck, but didn't finish the driveway shoveling. We'll do that tomorrow. That took more than 2 hours. We gave up because it was cold and getting more tea and OJ didn't seem worth it. If we escape tomorrow, I'm thinking brunch at Cafe Flora.

Hey, this baby can deal with rain, but not 11 days of being trapped at home.

Here are some things that have to do w/ snow at my house:

1. Kobie can eat snow right at head level.
2. Kobie doesn't like the snow to be over his head. He makes an attempt once in a while to jump through it, but it's not fun for him. This rule of unfunness doesn't apply when in the cat cage, because Kobie loves going in there.

3. The roof of the cat cage got slammed with snow. It's made of net, so it stretches when it's weighted down. This was the worse yet. The part where it's touching the ground should be 7 feet off the ground. The only solution is to go out and smack at it with sticks which is what Andy is doing below. Don't worry, I have my own stick and umbrella. This type of fun needs to be shared.

4. Abominable snowvegans

~~~~~
Andy made some pancakes from the Candle Cafe Cookbook and they were to die for. The texture was perfect.


~~~~~
Chippy & co aren't about to go outside (even if the cat door wasn't locked). So what's a cat to do? Leech off the nearest heat source. In this case, it's Andy. No fear of him moving for hours because he's playing games (Andy, not Chippy).

17 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Yikes! That's a lot of snow! Kobie is such a cutie, and I love the abominable snowvegans!

The pancakes look AWESOME! I love how they go from tiny to huge!

Tara said...

Wow, you did get a lot of snow! At least you have pancakes, a cute dog, and snuggly kitties, right? I hope you get out of your house soon!

Marni said...

I'm in awe of the snow. Since we don't get any here in San Diego, it seems rather mystical to me. The only time I can remember being trapped in our home for days was due to wildfires, so I can sympathize on that front. At least it's not all bad ... those pancakes look nummers! :) Hope you get out of the house soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow! If only you could send some of that snow my way *sigh* The weather is mild and dull here~ most un-festive! Humbug!
You guys look like you're having a fab time!

yasmin said...

Those pancakes do look awesome. And I can't believe you still have that much snow - the snow here melted really rapidly yesterday.

Kobie is so cute eating snow.

Helen said...

Lovely pancakes! I have just shown the photo to my boyfriend and asked him to make a graduated stack like that next time. He was not taken with the idea!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Wow, Bethany... that IS a lot of snow!!! Our foot is nearly gone thanks to a few days of rain and warm-ish temps. It is supposed to be near 60 today, so it will be gross and brown and dead looking by tomorrow. *Sigh*

beastmomma said...

It is insane that all of that snow has fallen in Western Washington. I am impressed that you are making the best of it.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wowza - there's NO snow here, which is eerily odd for this time of year around here. Hang in there!!

Scrumptious pancakes and cute cat!! :-)

Joanna said...

i love those really tiny pancakes, bethany. they are the size of my big toenail.

i am definitely happy that i am in pittsburgh where there is no snow right now. it was 50F yesterday!! holy smokes.

hope you find more things to do in the snow. maybe you should try making snow cones?!?!? that would be fun and you know they have to be vegan.

janelle said...

I grew up in Utah where we had snow every winter. Now my husband and I are in sunny South Carolina enjoying 75 degrees today. I can't say I miss the snow even though he feels differently. Snow sucks. It's too bad you have to have so much.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

The abominable snowvegans are too funny! Haha and I love the creative title, "vegansnofo."

Wanna move to Hawaii with me?

Chessa said...

I am sooooo glad the snow is mostly melted! We were mostly stuck down outside of Portland at my parents' house, but stuck is stuck.

So, about PCC - I signed up for the Indian Class, Persia, Sea Greens and the Soy Foods with Louise Hagler because I'm a cookbook author stalker. Just kidding! Kind of. ;) All at the West Seattle locations. Some time we'll have to arrange to take one somewhere in the middle of our respective locations!

Bethany said...

I will totally move to Hawaii w/ you. do you think we'd get sick of delicious mangos and pineapples? Not to mention floating around in the ocean every day.

For the Love of Guava said...

YIKES!! 11days... **Guava Shivers** I keep threatening to get out of southern california but would Guava make it in the cold vegan wild?

Felicity said...

mmm, pancakes. And Chippy looks SO comfy.

Jen Treehugger said...

Love the Snow vegans LOL!