Thursday, September 18, 2008

More catch up... Breakfast x 5

I've got a few more blogs to crank out before I'm caught up w/ the pictures I have been harboring on my camera. This one is all about breakfast, mostly breakfast that wasn't eaten in the AM. The AM type is typically nothing or a bowl of cereal and a banana.


Tofu Benedict. I could eat this every day. I use Joanne Stepaniak's "no cook hollandaise sauce" from the Saucy Vegetarian. You throw it all in a blender, then heat it up on the stove. Very easy. Storing in the fridge for a few days doesn't affect the flavor. I also add turmeric for some color, otherwise it's pasty white - even though I put more nutritional yeast in it than what they ask for.


The rest of it is easy. It's a piece of bread, teriyaki tofu, spinach. I sometimes add tomato or asparagus. Really, you can't mess this up.


For the teriyaki, I mix:
  • soy sauce
  • ginger
  • garlic
  • agave
  • toasted sesame oil.

I use powdered ginger and garlic if I'm feeling lazy. Also, sometimes I add hot sauce or chili flakes. I pretty much wing the measurements. I make the mixture pretty strong so it will marinate quickly. It basically stains the tofu. Soak the tofu in it for about 10 min per side. I don't make enough sauce to completely cover because I hate wasting things. If I weren't so lazy, I would press the water out of the tofu with a heavy dish, then marinate overnight in a weaker marinate, but this is a fast method. After "marinating", pan fry until browned. To save a step, I typically cook the spinach in the pan before frying the tofu.


Next on my list is Vegan With a Vengeance's Tofu Scramble. This is the best scramble I have ever had. I love it. Of course I dump in way more nutritional yeast because it's so good. Sometimes I make a double batch so I can have it the next day too - it keeps well.

My list of favorites wouldn't be complete without quiche. I have a few recipes that I love. The one pictured here is Isa's Classic Broccoli Quiche, its very very easy to make, foolproof and best of all very tasty. I like to add mushrooms and different veggies.

These chedda cheeze scones were awesome! Thanks, Hannah, for posting them. I used cheesly. I noticed that they disappeared very quickly. I must have a rat in my kitchen because Andy won't fess up. That same rat likes to get into the fridge too.

Last up is the Indian omelette by Global Vegan. I couldn't get it to look as good, but it tasted good. I have also made Susan's omelette which inspired Global Vegan. I love Susan's omelette, but the problem is that I eat it way too fast and forget to take a picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you liked the scones! I haven't tried cheezly myself, but I've certainly heard good things about it.

Bethany said...

I've made those scones again. they are sooo good! Next time I'm trying schreeze to see what the difference is.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This helped a bunch! I've seen a few
rather confusing websites lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.