Tuesday, October 7, 2008

VeganMoFo day #7 - Ravioli OH! & Sjaak's Halloween chocolates

I forgot which blog had mentioned the Pumpkin Sage Ravioli from the Voluptuous Vegan. Whomever you are, thanks for the suggestion. I love getting reviews from people on cookbooks. I hate to admit it, but I look at the pics in the cookbook and tend to only make them. So when I can go to a blog, see some pics and read a review, I'm oh so thankful.


This ravioli was not that difficult to make, other than the boredom of kneading the dough for 10 minutes. I forgot tonight was the debate, so I assembled them in front of the TV. Not the first time I've done chopping in the living room. There is a table in there, so it's easy and lazy.

The dough has some ground up chiles in them, but there wasn't a burning hot kick to them. Probably need to add another one in there. The inside part was simple too. I cheated and used canned pumpkin. It also had some pecans, sage and onion. There was a lot of the filling leftover, so I will have to eat it. darn ;-).

I froze 1/2 of them and made the other 1/2 for dinner tonight. All in all, they were good, I could acutally taste the pumpkin over the spaghetti sauce. I can't say that about some of the ravioli from the store - and that store ravioli is pretty healthy stuff. I'd make them again.
I've been eating these Sjaak's Halloween chocolates for about a week now. The are the same bites that they have been making for a while. They are about the size of a quarter. Verdict = bone chillingly yummy. The flavors are (sold separately):

Orange caramel filled

peanut butter filled

12 comments:

the fortress said...

Those chocolates look so tasty!

solteronita.livejournal.com

Kati said...

That ravioli looks amazing. Don't feel bad, I also tend to make the recipes with photos first or ones I've seen photos of on other blogs. I am a visual learner, I guess!

trina said...

Your ravioli look wonderful! I want them!

Anonymous said...

that is some beautiful ravioli. i've never made my own, but pumpkin and sage just sounds too interesting not too try.

jenny said...

That ravioli looks amazing!! I am so impressed that you made it, I always look at the recipe and just get discouraged!!

Yes, a Nojito is what i call non-alcoholic mojitos :)

Anonymous said...

The ravioli looks like it came out great! Yummy. We'll have to try it. And I'd use canned pumpkin too!

I wish those Sjaack people would put more caramel in their chocolates. It's hard enough to find vegan caramel without them skimping on it.:)

Bethany said...

joanna, if I can do it, anybody can! you could always cheat by making the filling and putting it on top of noodles, then covering w/ spaghetti sauce. Being lazy, I was leaning towards this method.

suzanne, have you tried their nuts and chews? they have a lot higher caramel:chocolate ratio than the bites do. the orange ones have a very strong orange taste (which I like). I will bring some of these halloween candies to the seattle vegan meetup for the canadian TG on 10/13 and you can be the judge. for all your seattle people, here's your chance to score some free chocolate ;-).

Amanda said...

Yum..everything looks delicious! I'll have to look for those chocolates...the peanut butter cups look like I should only have one in the house at a time ;)

Anonymous said...

Ooooo! Pumpkin ravioli sounds so delicious!!

Sheree' said...

YOu will steal my husbands heart with those chocolates. :o) He is my chocoholic. I have not had ravioli since going vegan. I must try them sometime.

yasmin said...

Ravioli... looks delicious. I've had ravioli on the brain for a while. And those chocolate-orange cookies look just as tasty.

Lyncara Beshirs said...

Love your blog name and I like your posts. Will follow you on here.