Monday, September 15, 2008

catch up time

I've been a slacker. not at making or eating food, but at posting. so I'm cranking out this mega post w/ pics.

Millenium Thai Stack featured in Vegetarian Times. It was good, but I'm not sure if it was worth the ton of work it took. I will have to tweak it in the future to amp up the flavor. I also couldn't stop thinking that the base sauce should have pineapple in it. Probably because I took a cooking class at PCC where they had an almost identical soup with pineapple in it. It was really really good and simple to make.
Lemony Potatoes and Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon. Both of these recipes were tasty. I like baking the cutlets in the oven. For some reason the frying pan method didn't work out so well for me. The prep time on the cutlets is really fast.

Chickpea Romescu from Veganomicon. I liked it, but not one of my faves. Maybe adding tabasco would help. I love spicy chickpeas. This photo was taken on a pot lid because I forgot to take a pic of our plates before we ate ;-).

Dreena's Chocolate Cake. Yummmm! This was a really good cake. It was moist and the frosting wasn't too chocolately. Though I also think it would be great if the frosting were that dense tofu ganache type. I put on so much frosting that the cake is sliding apart in the pic.
Southwestern Burgers from VT. That issue had a bunch of different burger recipes. I can't remember how many I have tried. I liked these burgers, they had a nice corn taste to them. A bit crumbly.

Anise Fig Smushed Cookies from Veganomicon. I liked these though they were hard and didn't really brown very well. Maybe next time I will make them thinner and use some sucanat.


I can't remember where I got this recipe from. Maybe VT. It's a salad with avacado and lemon. I do remember that it wasn't that good. Maybe I knew it deep down when I was chopping the onions because they are not even close to being uniform ;-). and yeah, that is a lake of dressing (which was the gross part).
Crispy Orange Soy Curls from Don't get mad, get vegan. This recipe was good, but I found out that I'm not a fan of soy curls. I think that I should have marinated them. At some point, I'll try them again. Don't use the whole bag at once unless you want a huge amount because they expand like crazy. One bag filled up a normal sized pyrex glass pie pan. I will totally use the recipe w/ tofu or seitan. Recipe:
Sweet Chili Lime Tofu from yumyum. This was good. I need practice with my dry tofu frying technique. Next time maybe less lime, and try adding pineapple. I guess I'm a pineapple loving freak.

Apple Galettes from Veganomicon. Very good. You can use pretty much any jam or fruit with these. I like them best on the first day. Also earth balance is a must if you want a crust w/ flavor.

Chocolate Chip Cookies by Dreena. I've made these 3 times now. Once following recipe and there wasn't enough molasses so they turned out white. Then with 1 tbs of molassess, then with 2 tsp. I think 1 tbs is the perfect amount. It has a strong molassess taste, but they are awesome. No matter how much you use, the cookie is chewy with a great consistency. And that lasts no matter how many days you keep them. It makes about 6 big cookies that fit on 1 sheet.


A fruit salad that I made. Pineapple, mango, and strawberries. Simple but delicious.

Creamy Pasta Sauce by Just the Food. This sauce is very creamy, just like it's name. I'd say that it's one of my favorite mac 'n fake cheese recipes.

Combo of Fronch Toast from Vegan with a Vengeance (VWAV) and Peanut Butter and Banana French Toast from Eat Air. Really good. Beware of using too much pb.

Orange Scones from VWAV. These are really really really good. I did make one mistake. The icing came out really thin and I used it. It made the outside of the scone really sticky. You can see the stickiness in the pic under the thicker icing that I made later on that day. The texture of the scone was perfect. Not super dry and not too dense. Definitely going to make these again.

No comments: