Thursday, September 18, 2008

Almost there.... random food

I'm almost caught up.

I bought the Joy of Vegan Cooking after seeing it mentioned on so many posts. I made the orange blueberry bundt cake. It was good. I added a simple orange juice and powdered sugar glaze because it looked sort of naked. I also had to add a bunch of oj and soy milk to the batter because it was more sconelike than cakelike. The cake came out great. Nice and moist. I think next time I will add lots more zest and maybe nuts.
This is an old standby in the house. It's a quick no bake key lime pie. I found this recipe on the internet. I use lots more lime juice until it tastes right. As you can see, I didn't let it set long enough and it broke apart. oops. I don't always use mori nu. any soft silken tofu will work well. I also use 2 lemon mori nu mates instead of 1 vanilla and 1 lemon.

I conducted a potato skin experiment. All of them had fake parmesan. One style had just plain fake cheese pieces, while the other (better tasting) had fake cheese and salsa mixed togehter. before putting in the oven, I sprayed them with olive oil. Sounds strange, but they will come out really dry and gross if you don't.
Here is some gnocci from Vegan with a Vengeance. YUMMMM... Very potatoy delicious and the best I've ever had. Probalby because it had real baked potatoes. I don't think restaurants take the time to do that. It freezes really well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE potato skins! I have been playing around with them a bit, some what unsucessfully.

While I can make great non-vegan ones, my vegan ones, not so much. Haha... still working on it :)