Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thrill 'o the Grill

Earlier this month, Andy & I took Thrill of the Grill, a vegan cooking class at PCC. It typically takes a lot of nagging to get Andy to take cooking classes, but not when it's taught by Dawnula Koukol. She really knows her stuff and she is really funny, a good combo in my book.


Chickpea and Potato Fritters with Cilantro Relish. Wow, these were great. Super crispy on the outside and potato deliciousness on the inside. The relish went perfectly with it.



Tempeh and Nectarine Skewers. Grilled fruit with tempeh, need I say more? The main ingredients of the marinade were vinegar, mustard, ginger, chipotle.

Stout Seitan Skewers. I loved these. Especially the mushrooms and pineapple because they are my faves.


Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Maple-hoisin Tempeh with Plum/Apricot dipping sauce. I love a good summer roll. They make such a refreshing snack. If you haven't made these before, they are easy and I'm sure you can find the recipe online. For me, the key herbs are cilantro, mint and basil.


The dipping sauce was very sweet/tart. I thought it went well w/ the roll, but I could also imagine it on vanilla soy ice cream, or maybe in a big glass :).

Dawnula, if you're reading this, I'm begging you to do a class on vegan breakfast / brunch foods, baked goods, appetizers or sandwiches.


~~~~~
I hope Tubs is comfortable, because he doesn't look like it. Lately I've seen him doing strange contortions. Do you like my piles of clean laundry in the background?

~~~~~

I'm soooo hungry right now. Too bad I couldn't eat jpg's for dinner.

9 comments:

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I'm hungry now too, after seeing those pics!! those spring rolls look awesome.

Aww tubs is too cute, my kitty when I was growing up used to get herself into positions like that, often on top of the clean laundry pile!

Amy said...

Make that another hungry person! I want those fritters! And that skewar!

And awww I just love tubs! He's so cute!!

Haha, love the laundry. Mine sits round in baskets for ages, then graduates to piles for each person for a few days before everyone finally puts it away (but by then the next 6 lots are waiting!)

Andrea said...

Yikes! Are you getting an advertising commission for those classes? I'm pretty convinced I have to take one, though they seem kind of expensive compared to what we pay here. That food looks great, especially the fritters.

My laundry has a tendency to stay in the basket until I need the basket again. Or, I get tired of stepping around it, whichever comes first.

For the Love of Guava said...

ahh... what do we want chickpea potato fritters!! When do we want them??? NOW!!!! So good looking... Mr. Guava and I may have to re-think that whole... "what vegan needs a bbq thing??" Especially, since I can now make snausages!

Bethany said...

andrea - I wish I got paid, but I don't :).

Though you do get a $10 off a $40 grocery bill coupon w/ each class, so it really cuts down on the cost of the class.

Guava - you need a bbq. I want to see how you can get tots on a grill.

veg & sal - my piles of laundry sit around for a long time too! I put it all inside t-shirts that I don't mind getting stretched out. makes a perfect cat bed.

Jen Treehugger said...

Too bad I can't eat jpegs either - I'd have scoffed the lot. I've never thought of using Pineapple for Kabobs! What an awesome idea. OK so Mr treehugger doesn't like Pineapple (!!??) but I certainly do and this is such an awesome idea so I'm gonna make this for me and little tree and Mr T can just have the same minus the Pineapple. Those Chickpea and Potato Fritters look damn good too.
Love the balancing worm pile act!

Sheree' said...

Wish we had a vegan cooking class around here. YUMO

Charlotte said...

I'm always so jealous of your cooking classes hen you post about them! I should take some.. really. Food looks great!

Kelly said...

I wish we had vegan cooking classes near us. Even finding vegetarian cooking classes is tricky. Everything you made looks fantastic. I also had the same thought on the beanballs. I was expecting a firmer texture but they were definitely on the squishy side.

I feel horrible because I realize I fell out of the habit of reading your blog but now I am back and you cannot get rid of me. :-)