Friday, March 13, 2009

beans and grains class

Here is the writeup on the Beans, Grains and More class that I took at PCC last month. It was taught by the awesome Marie Donadio, who also teaches the soup classes that I take.

I've been taking at least 1 class per week of some sort or another (including knitting and organic gardening). I'm looking forward to a break so that I can find the energy to try more of the recipes that I learned about in the classes.

Kosharri Be-Gebba Masrri. This is street food in Egypt. I wish a Kosharri cart would open up in Seattle. The main components are macaroni, rice, lentils, chickpeas (not used in class), carmelized onions, and a tomato sauce. It seems like a strange combination, but it is really satisfying. Yasmin also posted on this dish. Warm Grain Salad with Herb-roasted Root Vegetables. This salad had spelt berries in it which were really good. It was sweet and vinegary. Chickpea onion stew on top of Simple Quinoa Pilaf. I love all things chickpea, so this was a favorite for me. Millet Vegetable Balls and Savory Mushroom Gravy. These were surprisingly tasty. I say that because I typically don't have luck w/ millet. Marie said that they would freeze well, which is music to my lazy ears.
Oat and Nut Fruit Crisp. This was really good because it was made in part by yours truly. It was served with Coconut Bliss.

~~~~~~

I love how Peepa is using Tubs as a pillow as he is getting a bath. Peepa knows how to relax.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of these dishes look amazing and they have all of my favourite ingredients!

Tara said...

Everything looks great but I'm especially interested in those millet balls! I'm really impressed that you take at least one class a week! And of course, Peepa and Tubs are adorable. Peepa has to be one of the best cat names ever.

Zoey said...

I love that you share your cooking class creations with us. I have been thinking of taking some vegan cooking classes this spring and I think I may just give it a try! I wish I had a good use for millet, I had one bad experience and I haven't tried using it again.

I also love the kitty picture.

wingraclaire said...

Everything looks awesome... and what is coconut bliss?

Lily Girl said...

Peepa reminds me of our Kalyra. She always has her head buried in someone else (the light is very bright and she is a delicate flower... and utterly ridiculous!)

How long have you been knitting? I want to take some lessons, and I am wondering how long it will take me to pick up the basics. I know I need hands-on lessons, the pictures in the books just confuse me.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

it all looks really good!

Sheree' said...

I wish there were vegan classes in my area to take. I am so jealous of your fun learning and your awesome dishes. My two kids do the same thing as your babies. Aren't kitties wonderful!

Anonymous said...

girl, my mouth is drooling over here. that fruit and nut crisp looks amazing. you are such a chef, bethany. i'd kill to have your mad skills!! i'm the laziest cook in the world, hence i rarely cook anything. haha

For the Love of Guava said...

mm... can't beat a good veggie ball... or pet pillow!! Teehee... mmm...need to find some vegan cooking classes asap!