Monday, February 23, 2009

It seems like it, but I don't go out to eat all the time

Though it's hard to remember what I have made lately because I feel like the events of each day are blurring together into one big confused blob. Is spring almost here? Didn't think so.

~~~~~

When are the new Go Max candy bars going on sale? I need my veganized snickers! And I also want to try veganized Three muskateers, milky way, and almond joy.

~~~~~

Here are some of the things we made this month.

Raw Pesto with Zucchini noodles. This recipe was from the class I took last year. It's your basic pesto with soaked walnuts instead of pine nuts. I added the raspberries because it was for a Valentine's Day potluck. It was really good.



Eggplant Rollatini from Veganomicon. As with most pasta dishes, I liked this better after it had a chance to sit a day after baking. This recipe seemed like it had a lot of steps, but it was worth it.

I baked the eggplant strips instead of frying them. Next time I will skip the Almesan (sprinkles for the top) because it didnt' add much for me. I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to cram them into a round casserole dish, but I was worried I wasn't going to have enough sauce. Trust me, there are individual rolls in there.
I've made this scramble from Vegan With a Vengeance many times because it's awesome. I mention it (again) because I made it in my new mega cast iron frying pan. I made a double batch, so there are lots of veggies plus 2 lbs of tofu and it is barely 1/2 full. Once it's on the stove, it stays put because it weighs a ton.
We made the toasted coconut cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. The coconut didn't make it into batter, but they didn't need it because the extract, coconut milk and coconut oil gave them a nice coconut flavor that you could easily taste over the chocolate. I used vanilla frosting, then dunked them in finely grated coconut. I should have made these a lot sooner, they are really great.

~~~~~

Sable is playing w/ the new toy that has 16 NOISY squeakers in it. She really loves to destroy squeaky toys. This one might be too much for her because after 10 minutes she needed to rest.

I don't think she will ever break Kobie's record of 5 minutes to totally destroy a toy. And that includes ripping the many legs off the caterpillar toy one by one.

PS. I went to Wayward yesterday and had the lost souls scramble - again!!!

10 comments:

Tami said...

Yay for new cast iron!

Anonymous said...

Yum! That eggplant looks tastee! Too bad A. doesn't like it - yep another thing for your list! ;)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Yummy and awesome meals! The scramble looks so steamy and inviting! Aren't cast iron pans the best?

Coconut cupcakes! Give me anything coconut and I'm happy.

Sable is so cute wearing herself out with that toy!!

wingraclaire said...

All those dishes look awesome. Especially the pesto with raspberries - I'll bet that was fantastic!

When you foster a dog, do they give you a toy allowance? Otherwise, don't you run out of playthings fast?

Claire

Amy said...

Awww poor tired Sable!

Mmmm those rollatini look good. I haven't made them yet, partly because of the tofu and partly because I'm somewhat intimidated by the workload.

LOVE your tofu scramble and the new cast iron pan! I own one of those, it's humungous and would make a good weapon should someone ever break into my home :P (hmm except I don't know that I could actually lift it!)

Jen Treehugger said...

Awwww look at Sable - all that squeaking is hard work!
A cast iron frying pan is so on my list of wants. I think I'll ask the Easter bunny to get me one.
I made Tofu scramble for the very first time last week. I've made it four times in as many days - it's freaking AWESOME!!
Can't believe it took me so long to try it.
I'll have to have a look at the VWaV recipe to see how different it is to mine. I just chucked loads of things in a pan.
I'm intrigued by your Raw Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Raspberries! I can't imagine what that tastes like but it sure does look pretty!
xx

Anonymous said...

You made all of my favourite things from those books! And I also make my scramble in the cast iron pan. It lets the scramble brown so nicely.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I haven't made those coconut cupcakes yet but I should do - I love coconut!

Sable is so cute!

For the Love of Guava said...

aww... how is it that their destructiveness can be so endearing??? I have like 5 shirts with tiny little holes on the bottom from when Dub was a puppy and would jump up and nip at me to greet me... it was all fun and games until he got my belly -_-... all that food looks delish! I need me some fu scramble and a skillet to cook it in!

btw... i found your lost comments for some reason it asked for my approval (they made me smile that you tried to leave them again and again with slightly different wording so I posted them anyways... haha... too cute)... wordpress thought you were a shady new commenter... strange... doesn't wordpress know we're best friends and aspiring yurt neighbors???

Kelly said...

Yum. Everything looks fantastic. I especially like the colorful pop you get from the raspberries.