Monday, February 9, 2009

I smlove you

Ok, I'm not sure what the technical defintion of smlove is, but it tastes good. In my last post, I was testing out different brownie ideas for the NARN brownie bakeoff that took place yesterday. The Wayward Cafe was nice enough to let NARN use their space to host the event. I'll blog later on what I ate there beforehand.

I decided to take all of the toppings from the Chocolate Smlove Pie from Veganomicon and put it on top of a brownie - peanut butter caramel, maple glazed pecans and chocolate drizzle. This was a good move because I won :). Though, really, I feel like a cheater because Isa and Terry deserve the credit for coming up w/ a great recipe. We all know that they rock!

Since brownies are really messy to cut up - even if they are plain, I cut them up first and then put the layers of topping on.


There were lots of awesome brownies at the bakeoff. I took some pics early on, but as usual, I spaced taking pics after that.

I saw Yasmin there, but didn't get a chance to talk to her other than saying hi.

Minty Brownies w/ cute sprinkles - I'm a sucker for sprinkles. yum.

Voodoo Brownies. these had some kick to them that snuck up on you. delicious!
Raw Brownies
Scones - she can't find her secret ingredient in the store anymore, so she made scones. Which was a nice break from all the chocolate :) ~~~~~

NARN also had an auction this weekend. I made marble cupcakes from V'con and lemon gem cupcakes from VWAV. I tweaked the lemon frosting recipe so that it was edging towards being super lemon. Lemon is pictured below.

~~~~~
I've been eating out a tad bit more lately, so you should be seeing some restaurant reviews soon...

~~~~~
Poor Kobie just can't catch a break lately.
1. He is being treated by a dermatologist for his hair issues.
2. He is also scheduled to have some more big lumps removed. I would let him keep his lumps (rather than going through surgery), but unfortunately they are getting big and they are not in comfy spots. I think he knows they will be removed because everybody (vets, me, Andy) keeps touching them. Kobie is not stupid, ya know.
3. To top that off, he started limping yesterday. I took him to the vet today and it turns out that he somehow sprained his shoulder muscles on one side.
He's not very happy because with these issues come restrictions. He is being penned into the living room to restrict walking around too much. He can't go outside and lay around because the dermatologist said he has to avoid being wet. He's really going to hate the twice daily bandage changes when he has his surgery.
I'm hoping that after all this drama, he can have settle into a great summer with lots of barking and running around.
Until then, Mr. Kobie, you will have to sleep on your bed or the couch and not the stairs. (yes, that's his tongue)

13 comments:

wingraclaire said...

Congratulations on your win, even with an "assist!" Those brownies look awesome!

Lily Girl said...

Congrats on your win! That is so fun :)
And I always tweak my lemon things to make them "super". I want my taste buds to smack me upside the head and yell "Ain't that some LEMON!!!" lol

Jen Treehugger said...

Congratulations on winning though with that combo of peanut butter caramel, maple glazed pecans and chocolate drizzle I'M NOT FREAKING SURPRISED YOU WON!!!
They look totally delish.

Poor poor sweet Kobie. I'll send him some healing love so as he gets better real soon and then he can go and gambol outside where I know he'd much rather be.
Give him a BIG cuddle from his Aunty Jen.
xxxxx

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Congrats!!
Oh my goodness, is it weird I'm craving a minty brownie when it's only 7AM?

yasmin said...

I can attest to the yumminess of your brownies, Bethany. Although there was fierce competition. I hope we get to meet again at the march meet-up, or otherwise soon. :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

smlove brownies - genius!! I still haven't made a smlove pie, I need to!

For the Love of Guava said...

hey superstar baker CONGRATS!... how much would it take to get you to fly down and make my cupcakes for my wedding??? Would a hug and some fu scramble do it?? I'll find a salt shaker to put nooch in for ya!! :)

Hey give Kobie Baby a shoulder massage for me okay? Poor guys... I wish the boys could take depressed naps together.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Congratulations on your super brownie win! I can see why you won, those things look way good. The dripping peanut butter caramel on top is such a tease!

Aww, poor Kobie! I hope his hair issues get better soon and his lump removal thing heals quickly.

Joanna said...

bethany, i love your entire post dedicated to sweets. that was a brilliant idea considering the fact that i am totally pmsing right now.

your brownies look like those turtle candies that southerners always eat.

Amy said...

Mmm your brownies look sensational! And congratulations on winning.

Poor Kobie :( I hope he's all better soon (haha, that tongue is incredible! I love that it matches him!)

¡Yo Soy Liz! said...

wow those smlove brownies look INSANE!!! what a genius idea!

Anonymous said...

S'mlove brownies? That's genious!

Poor Kobie. I hope he's doing better soon. Go give him a hug for me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.