Friday, January 30, 2009

Kobie's expressive eyes

We went to Cafe Flora again last weekend. This time the service was not very good. They forgot to bring the soup, but we didn't get charged for it which was good. I guess it worked out because we were stuffed with all of the other stuff we ordered.

Fried Avocado. with a cornmeal crust and some yummy dipping sauces. Very very delicious.


Caesar's Salad. This is consistently good though they put too many burnt seedy things on top. Don't get me wrong, they are good.
Farro, veggies and some ranting. This was annoying. I had ordered the pizza, but didn't want the oyster mushrooms because I think they are gross. I asked her to sub in some other mushrooms, but they couldn't because the curry was premade. So I got the Farro instead without reading closely enough. A good server would say, hey the new dish that you ordered has tons of oyster mushrooms in it. But she didn't, and I pushed them to the side. She didn't even say anything about the big pile of mushrooms when she cleared our plates. The farro dish was ok, nothing special.
Split pea croquettes. This dish was a sort of misleading because they said it came with yukon frites. I'm thinking, cool! french fries. I think not. The "frites" were just mini shredded ultra greasy almost burnt yukon potatoes. The croquettes were bland. They should go to SusanV's blog and get some tasty croquette recipes :)

I must have forgotten to take a pic of the chocolate bread pudding. It was a dense hockey puck with way too much chocolate. I like a looser moister bread pudding. I think I've said before that their desserts aren't that great.

I think I'll only go to brunch at Cafe Flora from now on. That way I'll at least get some cinnamon rolls. Sorry about the crabby post, but this meal was not that great after the salad.

~~~~~

It's cold up here in western WA. Maybe not as cold as Wingraclaire and Tara have it, but cold enough for some snuggly blanket action. I'm sort of exaggerating because The Judge doesn't need cold weather to worm his way under a blanket.
Kobie is sort of pissed at me in this pic because he came inside and was really cold so I forced him to lay under the blanket until he got warm. I think he muttered "@#$@$@#@$@#WTF@#$@#$" under his breath.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Fried avocado?!?!?! YUM!

Sorry to hear they gave you oyster mushies in your dinner *shudder*.

And awww poor Kobie. He looks toasty and warm at least, even if he wasn't happy about it!

Tara said...

Sorry about all that lame food after the salad. :(
The Judge and Kobie are adorable! Kobie does look pretty grumpy about being under that blanket. It's not too cold here, it's snowing and about 10 degrees. Not a negative number, so I'll take it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ugh,that's bad service for sure!
But on a more positive note, I love the pupy pics. Molly and Henry want to set up a play-date.

Jen Treehugger said...

FRIED AVOCADO???!!
Oh my!
Me wants to try that!!!
Stupid serving people not to tell you the other dish had oyster Mushrooms in!!!
Kobie doesn't look impressed at all!

*snuggles up with Judge and Kobie*

janelle said...

Lately when I've been going out to eat I've been disappointed too. I personally like cooking better than eating out. I've never had bread pudding, is it good normally? And as always, your babies are adorable! Stay Warm!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience there, the mushroom thing was ridiculous. She should have said something!!

The Judge under the blanket is adorable, and poor Kobie might look displeased but warm! :)

Chou said...

Kobe does look a little on the unhappy side! I'm sure he thanked you later? Too bad about the meal, amazing how poor customer service can ruin something loved.

Joanna said...

no. no. and no. fried avocado?? my god, woman!! how amazing was that? i definitely have to make that. i've been on an avocado kick lately and haven't been able to keep my hands off them.

what a nice, intelligent waitress you had. haha i would've been so annoyed if i got a plate full of mushrooms.

i'm positive kobie was badmouthing his head off at you haha i can see into his black, soulless eyes and he's not happy hehe

yasmin said...

that fried avocado is great! too bad about the oyster mushrooms - i had no idea they were carnivorous, that's really weird.

Felicity said...

I really must try fried avocado... it looks delicious. Sorry to hear that most of the food was disappointing.

Lovin' the snuggly blanket action!

beastmomma said...

I have started trying to pick out good servers, so that I do not have to deal with an oyster mushroom situation.

wingraclaire said...

It has never even OCCURRED to me to fry an avocado! But if it gives you something crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside.... maybe I'd try it. Correction: I would order it in a restaurant. This is one dish I wouldn't want to mess up.

Your animals are cute in their get-up. I hope you use them to warm up YOUR bed.

And thanks for the e-empathy. You'll be happy to know the temperature totally freaked out in the other direction this weekend and it was in the 30's both days! (32 is still in the 30's!!!) It's back down to zero this week, so I've tried to enjoy every minute of it:)

Anonymous said...

Hey mushrooms ~ stay outta my food!
I love the picture of The Judge under the blankie! So cute >:o)

For the Love of Guava said...

teehee... Kobie does look rather irritated at you... or maybe he's just projecting his momma's anger over poor service/food. :)