Thursday, March 6, 2008

Some random cooking from 2006/2007

Recipes that I made in 2007 and remembered to write down... I took pictures of some of them.

2006 (ok, so not really "last" year).
Pineapple Upsidedown Cake - Since I was little, we've always included peaches. Here is a pic of a Pineapple upside down cake that has no pineapple.



Thanksgiving Dinner - Tofurkey & gravy, stuffing, wheat roll, rutabega, potaotes, squash, pickled dilly beans, something unknown, cranberry sauce.


Sugar Cookies. From an old Veggie Life magazine. Really thin and crisp. The white stuff is coconut.



2007-----------

Veggie Works:
Polynesian Tofu
- this was ok. which is surprising. there is another dish in that cookbook, "Neptune's Gift", which is AMAZING!

Veganomicon:

Chickpea noodle soup - this soup wasn't a favorite for me. I think it would have been better w/ more spice. I haven't give up yet on
it, though.

Chocolate Smlove Pie - A while back, I made Chocolate Smlove Pie from PPK. I think that this is also in Veganomicon. it's really really good. i made them as individual sized pies.


Vegan with a Vengeance:

Gnocci - the best gnocci that I have ever had. I could really taste the potato. I froze some and they still tasted really really good.
So I'm not sure why the store bought ones have to suck so much ;-).

Chili w/ seitan - The best veg chili ever! I perfer it w/out seitan (just double the beans).

Salad Rolls - these were really good, but I sort of messed up the watering part and they turned soggy in the fridge. I read in
another cookbook that you should pack them wrapped up in lettuce. It keeps them moist but not super soggy.

Tempeh Sausage. These were ok, but sort of bland for my tastes. If I made them again, I'd spice them up.

Tofu Scramble - best ever!!! Made it a bunch of times. If you make a double batch and keep it in the refridgerator, you can have a decent bfast for 3 or 4 days. I reheat in a frying pan - not microwave, it's worth it.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World:

You CAN'T go wrong w/ these cupcakes. Be sure to read tips in the beginning of the cookbook.

Boston vs. Brooklyn Crème Cupcakes - good. need to eat them quickly so they don't get dry. not a problem, though ;-).

Coconut Lime Cupcakes - super limey delicious. a moist cupcake.

Marble Cupcakes - They are so delicious. They have a nice tang to them. very dense and moist. worth my most unfavorite part of makng them - the swirling. i use vanilla frosting on them.

Red Velveteen Cupcakes - yum. though I was missing one of the key flavors.

Cappuccino Crème Cupcakes - very good. very moist. i frosted them w/ chocolate frosting plust chocolate ganache.

Cookies & Crème - these were good, but the suggested frosting came out dry. Next time I'll use plain chocolate frosting.

Everyday Dish DVD

Mint Melties - these cookies are very minty and yummy. I've made them a few times.

Internet Recipe Gambling...

Vegan Omelette for One - This was really good the first time I made it. I added vegan cheese to it. The second time, I messed it up so it was more like a scramble.

Coffee Cake - very dry. not sure what I did wrong.

Graham Crackers - these were like cardboard. I was sad. I need to find a recipe that uses real graham flour. The big pile is where I got sick of rolling and cutting, so I baked up a scrap pile.

crispy green onion pancakes - not good. I guess I'll have to go a restaurant to get these. Or keep trying. Hmmmm... I'll go to the
resturant. I lost the link.

Pigeon Peas in Coconut milk - I couldn't find pigeon peas, so I used black eyed peas. and added a ton of spices. very good w/ my
fake injera recipe.

Cheesy Quackers - these were really really good. they were gone before they cooled. I guess I was warned about that...

B’couscous I love you! - good, but a tad bit bland. with spices added, yum.

Corn Chowder - easy soup that is good. trick is to blend everything but the corn. then add the corn in. skip the salt because the
boullion will have enough salt. Though I agree that I too don't like an overpowering boullion taste.

Irish Soda Bread - this was a disaster. I've tried 2 recipes. one veganized, one not. I haven't given up yet...

Vegetarian Times:

Tempeh Burger - I was thumbing through the July/August VT issue and found a bunch of burger recipes that i wanted to try. The issue had 4 different burgers. one was a Tempeh burger that had beets in it for moistness. I don't know if it was because I got a dry beet, but it was only ok.

Nappa Cabbage Salad with Peanut Dressing - pretty good

Garlicky Spinach soup - pretty good

Chewy Granola Bars - I also found a recipe in a VT issue for Chewy Granola Bars. They are very sweet, but worth the sugar fest. I'm sure you could make them with less brown sugar than is called for. I added in dried pineapple, raisins and dates. Egg replacer = Ener'G.


Leftovers:
I used some leftover Rose drummettes (soy analog) from the Teapot in WA to make a sandwich. I put in green onions, follow your heart mayo, celery, salt, pepper. Simple but good. yes, the plate is the top of a tupperware container. I go all out for fancy pix.


No comments: